Thursday, February 22, 2007

Windows Vista, A Killer OS

Yup, I mean in. Windows Vista, A killer OS (Operating system). It really
will kills (you).

You can see windows Vista requirements at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx

You see know, why I says Windows Vista: A Killer OS. It will kill your
budget and wallet. If you have any plan to use one, you can say good bye to
your old computer. Simple upgrading the memory simply not enough, this
beast will require new processor and new graphic card too.

The rules is simple. If you wan to use it, buy a brand new computer with
the latest hardware and huge amount of memory. Event the home basic
edition require minimum of 512MB of memory, that just for the OS! If you
need to run applications like MS Outlook 2007, that you need at least 1GB
of memory. That minimum configuration. The 'Wow' starts now - that's True!.

These are just a few words about vista that I got from mailing list that I
join. These people mostly computer consultant with years of expertise. I
think I listens for what they says.

  • I'm running Outlook 2007 on a dual Xeon 3.06Ghz (not HT either) with 4G of RAM and it still drags.
  • I just tried Vista with the latest MS Office. It ran quite well. Of course, you have to have a system with the nuts to handle it. This was on a Dell with an Intel dual-core (3.8 Ghz I believe) system. Tons of memory. I would never use it on an outdated single core system with 512memory.
  • I find Outlook 2007 to be MUCH slower than 2003. I'm am not impressedby Vista or Office 2007 so far.
  • Yeah, and what will be the requirement in the next version on windows, a supercomputer, and that's just for basics :P
  • Quad processor, 4 GB ram, 2GB will be used upon successful bootup. In order to have the cool graphics as MacOS XII, you will need an SLI-2x4 4 - GPU video card that costs twice as much as the motherboard and processor chip.
  • I used Vista for a week on a laptop that was purchased within the last six months and branded as "Vista Ready!" It ran like crap, the driver support for the touchpad was abysmal, and it lived in virtual memory. I'll run XP until I can't anymore. After that, FreeBSD on the desktop is looking more and more attractive.
  • I don't object to Microsoft taking advantage of the power of newer machines, but I do find it rather annoying in the case of Vista that the *requirements* for the OS are so high. I've seen nothing in Vista that justifies using so much machine for just the OS. I do need to run a Vista box so that I can be familiar with the thing when my clients call with questions about it.
  • Currently I'm running Vista Ultimate on a Core 2 Extreme X6800 with 2G of very nice RAM and an X1950XTX graphics card. I have a very fast array of 3G SATA drives, and Vista does look pretty and it's quite snappy. But... The same box feels faster with XP SP2.

Sure they are also some good words about Microsoft Vista, but hey... I'm
not gonna quote them. :)

I'm not yet running Windows Vista, but for the prices of the OS and the
price for the new hardware, I think I never will.

I'm not prepare to buy a new computer, and I think many people are like me,
have a tight budget. I think I will stick with my old notebook powered by
Pentium III 733 Mhz with 512 MB, running dual boot nicely with Windows XP
Home edition and with Open Suse 10.1.

I still belive linux is the future (and now Lotus Notes runs under linux
too
)

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro